There are over 3.9 million dogs in the United States taken to shelters, and an unknown number of homeless that are not accounted for.
Bentley's Mug Coffee and Tea was established with the mission to combat chronic homelessness in the canine community.
We started a company that could provide help current shelters initially (donations of money food and/or supplies), and with the opportunity in the growing coffee industry, transition to starting (and supporting) rescues with the funding the company could provide.
The craft roasting community has grown dramatically in recent years and with expansion there is opportunity. Bentley's Mug Coffee and Tea aims to find and roast some of the best coffee beans from all around the world.
Bentley's Mug Coffee and Tea offers a full range of products for individual tastes. We have also developed a great cold brew for the warmer months when you need a refreshing pick-up. Our coffee is sustainably sourced to ensure the best quality, taste and experience for you, our customer. Relationships with bean farms help us ensure we get great coffee from the farm to your cup!
With our many years of coffee and tea experience, at company such as Starbucks, we have seen what good coffee can do - and seen how companies can depart from really good coffee. At Bentley's Mug Coffee and Tea we concentrate on great coffee and tea to allow our customers to come back for great coffee knowing they are supporting a great cause!
Eleven facts you want are below, and the sources for the facts are at the very bottom of the page. After you learn something, you can DO SOMETHING!
Facts about the issues at hand:
- Only 1 out of every 10 dogs born will find a permanent home.
- The main reasons animals are in shelters: owners give them up, or animal control finds them on the street.
- Each year, approximately 2.7 million dogs and cats are killed every year because shelters are too full and there aren’t enough adoptive homes. Act as a publicist for your local shelter so pets can find homes.
- Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs.
- According to the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP), only 15 to 20% of dogs are returned to their owners.
- 25% of dogs that enter local shelters are purebred.
- About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
- It’s impossible to determine how many stray dogs live in the United States.
- Only 10% of the animals received by shelters have been spayed or neutered. Overpopulation, due to owners letting their pets accidentally or intentionally reproduce, sees millions of these “excess” animals killed annually.
- Many strays are lost pets that were not kept properly indoors or provided with identification.
- According to The Humane Society, there are about 3,500 brick-and-mortar animal shelters in the US and 10,000 rescue groups and animal sanctuaries in North America.